Tuesday 7 October 2008

A Musical Leafy Lane....

This all started with a friend of mine lining my hand with a repress of a Tom & Jerry 12" from the 90s called 'maximum style'.



ILL, right?

Anyway, later on (a few years) this led directly to me buying a jungle compilation cd (unmixed) simply because it had a tom & jerry track on it called 'air freshner'. Im a huge dnb fan, and an even bigger 4hero fan, so to say i was 'pleased' was a major understatement.

I loved the sample, the break, the whole thing just blew my mind, i remember hearing this as a lad, but it had completely gone from my memory.

Anyway, here it is.



Awesome, im sure you agree. Fast forward a few years, and im sat on youtube searching for music (its quite a nice way of finding new tunes), and i stumbled across this track by Common called Penny For Your Thoughts, from his first album 'can i borrow a dollar?' (click here if you want to hear it, but i couldnt find the edited version on youtube)

Being a huge common fan, it blew my mind.... and it reminded me just how much i needed to find the original break. Took a mental note, and carried on surfing, put in some names of some artists i felt i didnt know much about, next thing i knew, purely by chance... Im listening to it. Id found the original break.

In talking to a guy close to 4hero, both sampled tracks were around at a similar time and it was just a coincidence! Anyway, here it is, Eddie Kendricks - Intimate Friends. I truly love this track!

No comments: